Kilmainham Mill nestles into the north side of a deep valley on the River Cannock to the west of the centre of Dublin. The adjoining weir facilitated milling on the site, probably as far back as the sixteenth century. Initially a flour mill, the complex was later converted to provide a range of textile processes, including fulling, tentering and waterproofing, and more recently to apply specialist fabric treatments such as fire retardant. Having changed the power source from water to steam in 1868, the complex remained viable and, remarkably for such a central urban site, was operational until 2000. The most striking visual feature is the tall brick chimney that was constructed when the power source changed from water to steam. This attractive landmark feature adds significantly to the overall composition and visual qualities of the complex.
The biggest threat to the significance of the mill complex has been redundancy. It has been without a use since 2000 and has, as a result of a lack of regular maintenance and care in the intervening years, fallen into serious disrepair. Howley Hayes Cooney Architecture, alongside CORA ConsultingEngineers, oversaw a schedule of emergency remedial repairs. These included re-roofing a number of areas, removable of hazardous materials, and stabilising the structures, including the large chimneystack. Cleaning and repointing works are the visible face of much more extensive works carried out on the mill complex, and now set the scene for the adaptive reuse of these buildings, to secure their future.
The biggest threat to the significance of the mill complex has been redundancy