Grand Canal Harbour is located in the Liberties, at the edge of the historic city in an area that has experienced many changes since its former use as a canal basin and terminus. Opened in 1785, it consisted of three substantial basins, linked by a narrow channel. The largest of the basins, terminated the system in the form of a dramatic semi-circular curve. Only the striking, 19th century curved stone building survives in an intact state, it is a complex and interesting structure that retains evidence of its former uses, initially as a warehouse, and later as an experimental maltings for Guinness. These two distinct layers and curved form make this an interesting building for adaptive reuse and extension.
Forming part of a larger mixed-use, new build scheme, the curved building is to be preserved and adapted for a mixture of new uses, including a café together with a suite of co-working offices and artist studios. New interventions and alterations to the historic fabric are designed to be unambiguous examples of their time that will not diminish the integrity or character of the original historic structure. A new extension respects the form of the curved building, and is expressed as a contemporary brick extrusion with a pitched metal roof reflecting the industrial architectural heritage in the area. The extension is to be used for retail and medical offices to support nearby hospitals.
A new extension respects the form of the curved building, and is expressed as a contemporary brick extrusion with a pitched metal roof reflecting the industrial architectural heritage in the area